B.A. 1958, University of Albuquerque; J.D. 1961, Notre Dame University, cum laude; Editor-in-Chief, Notre Dame Lawyer; LL.D. 1983, St. Mary's University.
Admitted to practice in Indiana, 1961; associate, Barnes, Hickam, Pantzer and Boyd, Indianapolis, 1961-63; Professor of Law 1966-80, Associate Dean, 1969-70, Dean 1971-75, Notre Dame; Visiting Professor, U.C.L.A., 1970-71; Visiting Professor, University of Virginia, 1975-76; Frances Lewis Scholar in Residence, Washington and Lee University, fall semester, 1979; Professor of Law, Washington and Lee University, 1980-83; Director, Frances Lewis Law Center and Professor of Law, 1983-85; Professor of Law, Washington and Lee University, 1985-88.