[This is an archival profile page]
Prof. Parness was a professor at W&L from:
> Fall 2006 - Spring 2007 (Visiting)
|Visiting Professor of Law
Books and Chapters
- Personal Jurisdiction, Chapter 2 in FEDERAL CIVIL PRACTICE (IICLE, forthcoming 2006).
- Reforming American Paternity Laws, Chapter 9 in GENETIC TIES AND THE FUTURE OF THE FAMILY, (Mark Rothstein et al. eds., 2005).
- ILLINOIS CIVIL PROCEDURE, 2nd edition (LEXISNEXIS 2003) (yearly supplements 2004-2006).
- FEDERAL AND STATE CIVIL PROCEDURE HANDBOOK 2nd edition (Anderson Publishing, 2001).
- CIVIL PROCEDURE FOR FEDERAL AND STATE COURTS (Anderson Publishing, 2001) (biannual supplements).
- FEDERAL AND STATE CIVIL PROCEDURE HANDBOOK (Anderson Publishing, 2000).
- ADVANCED CIVIL PROCEDURE: CIVIL CLAIM SETTLEMENT LAWS (Carolina Academic Press, 2000)(biannual supplements).
- ILLINOIS CIVIL PROCEDURE (LEXIS 1998) (yearly supplements 1999-2002).
- Pleadings Allowed; Form of Motions, Chapter 7, in MOORE'S FEDERAL PRACTICE, Third Edition (Matthew Bender, 1997).
- General Rules of Pleading, Chapter 8, in MOORE'S FEDERAL PRACTICE, Third Edition (Matthew Bender, 1997).
- Pleading Special Matters, Chapter 9, in MOORE'S FEDERAL PRACTICE, Third Edition (Matthew Bender, 1997).
- Form of Pleadings, Chapter 10, in MOORE'S FEDERAL PRACTICE, Third Edition (Matthew Bender, 1997).
- Privacy in Sexual Matters, Chapter 20 in Volume 3, in PRIVACY LAW AND PRACTICE (Matthew Bender, 1987).
- New Federal Paternity Laws: Securing More Fathers for Children of Unwed Mothers, __ BRANDEIS LAW JOURNAL __ (forthcoming 2006).
- The 2006 Allerton Conference: Reforming the Civil Jury System in Illinois, ILL. B.J. (forthcoming 2006).
- American General Jurisdiction Trial Courts: New Visions, New Guidelines, 55 KANSAS LAW REVIEW __ (forthcoming 2006).
- No Genetic Ties, No More Fathers: Voluntary Acknowledgment Recissions and Other Paternity Disestablishments Under Illinois Law, JOHN MARSHALL LAW REVIEW (forthcoming 2006).
- Improving Judicial Settlement Conferences, 39 U.C. DAVIS LAW REVIEW 1891(2006).
- Deserting Mothers, Abandoned Babies, Lost Fathers: Dangers in Safe Havens, 24 QUINNIPIAC LAW REVIEW 335 (2005).
- Adoption Notices to Genetic Fathers: No to Scarlett Letters, Yes to Good Faith Cooperation, 36 CUMBERLAND LAW REVIEW 63 (2005).
- The 2004 Allerton House Conference: Balancing Economy, Efficiency and Fairness, 92 ILLINOIS BAR JOURNAL 590 (2004).
- Enforcing Settlements in Federal Civil Actions, 36 INDIANA LAW REVIEW 33 (2003) (with Matt Walker).
- Guiding Civil Case Settlement Conferences and Their Aftermath: The Need to Amend Illinois Supreme Court Rule 218, 35 LOYOLA UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO LAW JOURNAL 779 (2004) (with Lance Cagle).
- Federalizing Birth Certificate Procedures, 42 BRANDEIS LAW JOURNAL 105 (2003).
- Civil Claim Settlement Talks Involving Third Parties and Insurance Company Adjusters: When Should Lawyer Conduct Standards Apply?, 77 ST. JOHN'S LAW REVIEW 603 (2003).
- Participations of Unwed Biological Fathers in Newborn Adoptions: Achieving Substantive and Procedural Fairness, 5 JOURNAL OF LAW AND FAMILY STUDIES 223 (2003).
- Nonparty Insurers in Federal Civil Actions: The Need For New Written Civil Procedure Laws, 36 CREIGHTON LAW REVIEW 191 (2003) (with Tait Lundgren).
- Expanded Recognition in Written Laws of Ancillary Federal Court Powers: Supplementing the Supplemental Jurisdiction Statute, 64 UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH LAW REVIEW 303 (2003) (with Dan Sennott).
- Old-Fashioned Pregnancy, Newly-Fashioned Paternity, 53 SYRACUSE LAW REVIEW 57 (2003).
- Thinking Outside the Civil Case Box: Reformulating Pretrial Conference Laws, 50 KANSAS LAW REVIEW 347 (2002) (with Matt Walker).
- Recognizing Party and Nonparty Interests in Written Civil Procedure Laws, 20 THE REVIEW OF LITIGATION 481 (2001) (with Dan Sennott).
- Abortions of the Parental Prerogatives of Unwed Natural Fathers: Deterring Lost Paternity, 53 OKLAHOMA LAW REVIEW 345 (2000).
- The Authority of Illinois Lawyers to Settle Their Clients' Civil Claims: On Principles Not Quite Settled, 31 LOYOLA UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO LAW JOURNAL 199 (2000) (with Austin Bartlett).
- Unsettling Questions About Lawyer Civil Claim Settlement Authority, 78 OREGON LAW REVIEW 1061 (1999) (with Austin Bartlett).
- Evolving Views of Civil Litigation: Future Civil Procedure Courses, 31 ARIZONA STATE LAW JOURNAL 945 (1999).
- The Substantive Elements in the New Special Pleading Laws, 78 NEBRASKA LAW REVIEW 412 (1999) (with Amy Leonetti and Austin Bartlett).
- Expert Opinion Pleading: Any Merit to Special Certificates of Merit?, 1997 BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 537 (with Amy Leonetti).
- Enforcing Professional Norms for Federal Litigation Conduct: Achieving Reciprocal Cooperation, 60 ALBANY LAW REVIEW 303 (1996).
- The New Federal Civil Procedure Rule 11: Different Sanctions, Second Thoughts, 83 ILLINOIS BAR JOURNAL 126 (1995).
- Sanctioning Legal Organizations Under the New Federal Civil Rule 11: Radical Changes Loosen More Unforeseeable Forces, 14 THE REVIEW OF LITIGATION 63 (1994).
- The Presence of Family Members and Others During Attorney-Client Communications: Himmel's Other Dilemma, 25 LOYOLA UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO LAW REVIEW 481 (1994).
- Disciplinary Referrals Under New Federal Civil Rule 11, 61 TENNESSEE LAW REVIEW 37 (1993).
- Fines Under New Federal Civil Rule 11: The New Monetary Sanctions for the 'Stop-and Think-Again' Rule, 1993 BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 879.
- Pregnant Dads: The Crimes and Other Misconduct of Expectant Fathers, 72 OREGON LAW REVIEW 901 (1993).
- Designating Male Parents at Birth, 26 UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN JOURNAL OF LAW REFORM 573 (1993).
- Failed or Uneven Discourse of State Constitutionalism?: Governmental Structure and State Constitutions, 5 ST. THOMAS LAW REVIEW 155 (1992).
- Arming the Pregnancy Police: More Outlandish Concoctions?, 53 LOUISIANA LAW REVIEW 427 (1992).
- Book Review, State Supreme Courts in State and Nation, 74 JUDICATURE 332 (1991).
- Prospective Fathers and Their Unborn Children, 13 UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK LAW JOURNAL 165 (1990).
- Respecting State Judicial Articles, 3 EMERGING ISSUES IN STATE CONSTITUTIONAL LAW 65 (1990).
- The Legal Status of the Unborn After Webster, 95 DICKINSON LAW REVIEW 1 (1990).
- Comparative American Judicial Systems, 24 UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND LAW REVIEW 171 (1990).
- Observations on Recent Efforts to Deter Frivolous Papers in the Illinois Circuit Courts, 21 LOYOLA UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO LAW JOURNAL 859 (1990).
- Increased and Accessible Illinois Judicial Rulemaking, 8 NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 817 (1988) (with Bruce Keller).
- Choices About Attorney Fee-Shifting Laws: Further Substance/Procedure Problems under Erie and Elsewhere, 49 UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH LAW REVIEW 393 (1988).
- More Stringent Sanctions Under Federal Civil Rule 11: A Reply to Professor Nelken, 75 GEORGETOWN LAW JOURNAL 1937 (1987).
- The New Method of Regulating Lawyers: Public and Private Interest Sanctions During Civil Litigation for Attorney Misconduct, 47 LOUISIANA LAW REVIEW 1305 (1987).
- The Abuse and Neglect of the Human Unborn: Protecting Potential Life, 20 FAMILY LAW QUARTERLY 197 (1986).
- Your Bodies, Ourselves: Legal Protection of Potential Human Life, 30 CATHOLIC LAWYER 370 (1986).
- Grounding Groundless Papers, 25 JUDGES' JOURNAL 2 (1986).
- Frivolous Pleadings in Illinois: Observation on the 1985 Medical Malpractice Reforms, 75 ILLINOIS BAR JOURNAL 238 (1986).
- Factually Groundless Pleadings in the Federal Courts and Their Certifying Attorneys, 1985 UTAH LAW REVIEW 325.
- Crimes Against the Unborn: Protecting and Respecting the Potentiality of Human Life, 22 HARVARD JOURNAL ON LEGISLATION 97 (1984).
- Protection of Potential Life in Illinois: Policy and Law at Odds, 5 NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 1 (1984).
- The Process of Factfinding in Judicial Rulemaking: Some Kind of Hearing on the Factual Premises Underlying Judicial Rules, 5 PACE LAW REVIEW 1 (1984) (with Sandra Freeman).
- Federal District Court Proceedings to Recover Attorney's Fees for Prevailing Parties on 1983 Claims in State Administrative Agencies, 18 GEORGIA LAW REVIEW 83 (1983) (with Gigi Woodruff).
- The Duty to Prevent Handicaps: Laws Promoting the Prevention of Handicaps to Newborns, 5 WESTERN NEW ENGLAND LAW REVIEW 431 (1983).
- Let Live and Let Die: Some Thoughts on Contemporary Law and Disabled Newborns, 37 UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI LAW REVIEW 43 (1982) (with Roger Stevenson).
- Access to Judicial Rulemaking Procedures, 1982 ARIZONA STATE LAW JOURNAL 641 (with Curtis Copeland).
- To Be or No To Be: Protecting the Unborn's Potentiality of Life, 51 CINCINNATI LAW REVIEW 257 (1987) (with Susan Pritchard).
- Book Review, Federal Rulemaking: Problems and Possibilities, 35 VANDERBILT LAW REVIEW 1453 (1982).
- Reforms in the Business and Operating Manner of the Ohio Court of Appeals, 16 AKRON LAW REVIEW 3 (1982) (with Jack Reagle).
- The Legislative Roles in Florida's Judicial Rulemaking, 33 FLORIDA LAW REVIEW 359 (1981).
- Social Commentary, Values and Legal Personhood, 83 WEST VIRGINIA LAW REVIEW 487 (1981).
- Public Process and State Judicial Rulemaking, 1 PACE LAW REVIEW 121 (1980) (with Chris Manthey).
- Review of Recent Opinions in the Areas of Civil Procedure and Federal Jurisdiction by the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1980 DETROIT COLLEGE OF LAW REVIEW 324.
- Public Process and Ohio Supreme Court Rulemaking, 28 CLEVELAND STATE LAW REVIEW 249 (1980) (with Chris Manthey).
- Public Process in State-Court Rulemaking, 63 JUDICATURE 338 (1980) (with C. Manthey).
- Navarro Saving Association v. Lee, 34 PREVIEW 7 (1980).
- Relief From the Poor State of Poor Relief in the State of Ohio?, 8 CAPITAL UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW 527 (1979).
- Correspondence, Public Process and State-Court Rulemaking, 88 YALE LAW JOURNAL 1319 (1979).
- The Parajudge - Oiling the Wheels of Justice, 10 TRIAL 54 (1974).
- The Concept of a Unified Court System, 24 DEPAUL LAW REVIEW 1 (1974) (with Allan Ashman).
- Criminal Justice in Philadelphia: An Evaluation, 56 JUDICATURE 208 (1972).
For the Media
Find subject matter experts.