Washington and Lee University School of Law Logo

Washington and Lee University School of Law

Make Each Year Count Washington and Lee University School of Law
Upcoming Events
Tel: 540.458.8535
Email: lawcareer@wlu.edu
Hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Office: Powell Suite, Sydney Lewis Hall

Funding & Academic Credit


Financial support for students accepting unpaid summer positions is available, but very limited; in most cases one must accept the summer position before an application for funding can be submitted.

  • The Public Service Law Network (PSlawnet.org) collects summer funding resources; we recommend you also check with state and local bar associations.
  • W&L’s Shepherd Poverty Program offers a few federal work study positions to law students working in pre-approved summer internships with organizations addressing the legal needs of the poor.
  • OCP issues a few funding awards to students working in the public sector – preference is given to 2Ls and to those working in legal aid and public defender offices. Summer Funding Memorandum and Application
  • Finally, PILSA, the Public Interest Law Students Association, raises funds each year to provide grants to students. Watch for information on the application process from PILSA in spring.
  • Federal student loans are available to those with remaining federal loan eligibility for this academic year.  Contact Cynthia HIntze in Financial Aid (CHintze@wlu.edu or 458-8032) as early as possible; your loan must be in process by April 15 and must disburse by the end of the academic year.

If you have incurred expenses during initial and call-back interviews with public sector employers, you can apply for reimbursement.  Applications for reimbursement of public service job search expenses during fall term are due by January 15; expenses incurred during spring term are due by June 15th. See HERE for the reimbursement request form and more details.

For information about post-graduate loan repayment and debt forgiveness, see the resources located here.


Academic credit is available for summer study abroad and certain unpaid summer internships. Review this Memorandum on Academic Credit for Summer Internships for details.